[K12OSN] Why doesn't JRE work on K12LTSP 6.0 64bit?

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 1 21:43:56 UTC 2007

ahodson at elp.rr.com wrote:
> Thanks a zillion for the wonderful hint - it worked like a charm!
> I guess there is work to be done with Firefox and 64 bit apps.
> Suggestions like Dan's restore one's faith on Open Source and K12LTSP -
> at times the postings are "out there" - not this one... right on target

Happy to help.

Really, the problem isn't with Firefox, but with binary plugins.

Adobe hasn't seen fit to build Flash for x86_64 (AFAIK), so you can't
use it with x86_64 Firefox, which works just fine "thank you very much". ;-)

Sun _does_ have an x86_64 Java for Linux, but no applet plugin support.
:-( At least they're open-sourcing the JDK/JRE, so proper plugin support
"out-of-the-box" in Fedora may be a reality in a year or so.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services