Re: [K12OSN] NorthTec MicroClient Jr

_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 06:17:54 -0600 (CST), Barry Cisna wrote

Hello All,

 I've used the MicroClient Jr as my personal computer for about 5 months
now. No complaints at all,  Unbox it, go into bios, enable PXE boot,
if you so desire setup its own ws00x in lts.conf and use the
specified video driver( it works fine with the vesa driver too),,
you'll have to compile the sound module on K12LTSP for audio to work,
,and it works. its that simple I can have 10 web browsers open with
no probs. Java Apps dont drain it either.As was mentioned here full
screen Tuxtype/Tuxmath does NOT work but windowed works fine. Nice
thing is 0 noise!!! and almost 0 heat .Mounted on back of an 19" LCD
monitor. I cant seem to see any to nasay about it honestly. $120
plus shipping from Bangkok . There is an US reseller now,,I think?

Very cool.  For the price and the speeds I think I'll trade not being able
to do full screen for some apps.  I am looking at buying around 100 machines
for 4 of our labs very soon and this looks very promising.

Thanks,
Jim

We use a lot of LCD monitors in my district, very few (if any) of which support TuxType, TuxMath, or ChildsPlay in full-screen mode.  Here is my solution:

1.)  Rename /usr/bin/tuxtype2 (the executable) to, say, "/usr/bin/tuxtype2-bin".
2.)  Write a very small shell script named /usr/bin/tuxtype2 that calls the renamed executable in window mode.

Kinda like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/tuxtype2-bin --window

And then, "chmod 755 /usr/bin/tuxtype2".  Works like a charm.

Just tried it with ChildsPlay, too, with several games, and it works there, too.

--TP