Re: [K12OSN] NorthTec MicroClient Jr

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
If you don't have any EtherBoot clients, then Edubuntu is a fine
choice.  If you have a mixture of both EtherBoot and PXE clients,
though, go with K12LTSP, as Edubuntu doesn't support EtherBooting
clients out of the box.  You can make it do so, but you have to hack
/etc/dhcpd.conf.  But for that, I might be running Edubuntu myself.

Edubuntu, since the 6.10 release (edgy) does support Etherboot clients out of the box. There was a problem with the mknbi package on Dapper, that's why dapper's version of ltsp didn't easily support etherboot clients. We resolved that last fall, and the fixed version made it into edgy.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

If you do go with K12LTSP, I'd suggest the "Enterprise Linux", or "EL"
version (the CentOS-based one). It's quite good, I find.  I'm using it
now to type this.  Remember that you have both yum and apt/synaptic with
K12LTSP, too.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:03:55 -0600 (CST), Barry Cisna wrote
Hi jim,

  Yes USB ports works fine "out of the box",,(v 1.1)
Ill make things easy and I can email you the compiled sound module,,just
paste into your /opt/ltsp/i386/kernel/drivers/sound  :
then just add a ws00x in your lts.conf for each client and point to this
sound module.
SIS7019 is sound modle you compile.
I'll get a how to posted in the next couple days.
Ill see if I can do a how to as well for compiling yourself,,if you like
the challenge..
What version of K12LTSP are you using at present?
This will be for a completely new setup.  I am stuck between Edubuntu Feisty
and K12LTSP6.  I have been testing both.  I really like the ease of upgrade
Edubuntu offers and the large debian repository, but K12LTSP still seems
faster and packaged better....decisions, decisions.  If you could email me
module and your lts.conf lines that would be great.  I hope to make a purchase
within the next couple months.  Looking at a new LDAP server with 2 LTSP
servers to start and a separate file server with an attached PowerVault.  Then
depending on performance I might hand some application specific servers off
the whole thing.  I want to start with about 100 clients and ramp up to about
200 within the next year.  So I need to plan this out right from the beginning
and be sure I have a plan in place that can grow.  This will be the biggest
rollout I have ever thought of attempting with LTSP.