[K12OSN] electricity use

Olle Niit olle at paalalinn.com
Wed Mar 14 06:55:21 UTC 2007

It's not a right calculation at all.

I have server at homeoffice with 500w power supply.
It's AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754
ram 512MB DDR400
NEC DVD-RW
HDD 400GB ATA100 and HDD 400GB  SATA software mirroring
2 netcards ( 1 onoard and 1 extra)
1 extra cooling fan for HDD-s
Linux E-Smith 7.5
I have APC PackUPS RS800, it tells that average power required is
51Watts. Maximum I ever seen was 61watts, and at start time 71Watts.

But - Once upon a time there was some kind of Compaq or NEC monitors,
whitch required at sleeping time very mutch power ( funny that they
wasn't explosed). There was central APC 5000VA ups, and when all
computers was tutned off, ups shows very many amps load currency. And
when we pluged out monitor cords - load was 0 AMPS again. Those monitors
was totally killers. I never seen it before or after. But there was one
seria of 15" CRT monitors - even when monitor was sleeping and yellow
led was turned on - power they needed was allmost like some kind of
working heaters.

--
Olle Niit
Teknet Arvutid OÜ