[K12OSN] LTSP detailing required for Nepal

Shishir Jha shishirjh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 03:31:40 UTC 2007

Thank you for your response,
How could using 2 servers in two different subnet supporting 15 clients each
in 100 mbps network do for the requirement do. The server could be HT
enabled PIV with 1.5-2 GB of RAM with workstations of PIII with intel 8x0
boards and 64 MB Ram. Could this be a viable option or not.
By flash i meant flash content prepared in Macromedia Flash/Director for
community to be taught about HIV/AIDS and other health issues after the
school is over for general information spread

Thank you

On 3/15/07, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/03/07, Peter Scheie <peter at scheie.homedns.org> wrote:
> >
> > Shishir Jha wrote:
> > > I am from Kathmandu Nepal, and am currently studying as a fourth year
> > > computer engineering student here. Last December as a holiday project
> we
> > > tried out LTSP and after its amazing result we decided to deploy it
> one
> > > of the remote areas of Nepal, Dang, which is some 450 km from our
> > > capital Kathmandu.We teamed up with a NON-Government Organization Help
> > > Nepal Network for financial and other support. We used K12LTSP 5.0with
> > > PIV Intel 865GSA 3,06 GHz, server in 10/100 mbps switch. Thin clients
> > > were phased out PI's IBM 133Mhz with 32 mb RAM. Total no. of clients
> > > running there  are 5. This project was acheived with minimal cost
> > > expenditure of about 85,000 Nepali Rupee (1200$US) and has been
> > > performing flawlessly ever since. More than 200 students take direct
> > > advantage of this system in a place which could have been untouched by
> > > computers if not for this initiative taken by Help Nepal and us.
> > >
> > > Now, after the immense success of that project, we and our parent NGO
> > > are being approached by different organizations for mass deployment.
> We
> > > have tested LTSP for max of 10 computers, but the requests coming to
> us
> > > are for more than 30 computers per lab and that also with full
> > > multimedia support if possible.
> > > So, I would like to ask few questions about the full scale deployment
> of
> > > LTSP, specially K12 LTSP
> > > 1. How well does this set up cope with Multimedia applications? What
> > > Multimedia tools and applications can be run on the client end running
> > > in 30 computers simultaneously?
> > K12LTSP handles multimedia pretty well, but it depends a bit on what you
> > mean by 'multimedia'.  Do you mean streaming video from websites?
> > Mplayer and the mplayer plugin for Firefox work pretty well.  William
> > Fragakis just posted instructions to this list the other day on how to
> > get this all to work.  It's pretty simple.
>
> Heavy Flash in full screen mode applications is reported to be a slow
> down. Without which even 100mbps network is good enough. But with the
> costs of 1/2 port gig and 30 port 100mbps swithces bein low you would
> rather have gig uplink to switch.
>
> > > 2.For 30 terminals how many servers would be required assuming we have
> > > to use multimedia apps like flash and other interactive elements?
> > You can probably get away with a single server for 30 clients. I'd
> > suggest either a 2Ghz or greater dual processor or  dual core system,
> > with 4GB of RAM.  You should have a good gigabit NIC in the server, and
> > the switch should have a gigabit port for the server, and 100Mb ports
> > for the clients; typically, these come as a 24+2 switch with 24 100Mb
> > ports plus two 1Gb ports.  Of course, you could use two servers, each
> [...]

Shishir Jha
EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
KTM,NEPAL