[K12OSN] smbldap slow login

Randall Swift swift at msad52.org
Thu May 3 17:36:15 UTC 2007

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>Hi all,
>We've been running a smbldap server (volunteer installed) for several
>months without too much trouble. In the past few weeks, the time it takes
>for a user to login and see a desktop has increased steadily. I'm new to
>both Linux and smbldap. Any ideas as to where I should start looking?
>TIA  :-)
>--Peter

Are you using roaming profiles? Your profiles will get larger and larger
over time especially if people are saving everything to "my documents" and
it will slow the login down. I had to do away with roaming profiles
because of this reason but I also had over 850 users. Hope this helps.

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282