[K12OSN] re: Bind and Linux DHCP for a Microsoft ADS based lan (John Hansknecht)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Tue May 15 17:02:19 UTC 2007

> From: John Hansknecht <jhansknecht at hanstech.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] Bind and Linux DHCP for a Microsoft ADS based lan
>
> Is anyone using Bind and the Linux dhcpd software to support Microsoft ADS
> clients which require dynamic DNS? If you are, and you are aware of a 'howto'
> somewhere that walks through how to configure the software please forward to
> me the url of the howto.

Hi John,

We're using bind for all our DNS and dhcpd for all our DHCP, and we
have three AD networks that are working fine. We configured bind to
accept updates from the AD servers' IP addresses, and we've been
ignoring the fact that the XP clients want to register dynamic DNS
entries. I know this should supposedly be breaking some kerberos
requirements for correct forward and reverse lookups, but we haven't
noticed any problems, and we've been running this way for two years.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/