[K12OSN] upgrade openoffice

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Nov 20 06:16:02 UTC 2007

I've done this on my K12LTSP 4.2EL box several times.  My method
requires the use of the command line, but it has always worked pretty
well for me.  Basically, you simply download and un-targz the tarball
from www.openoffice.org, and you get a subdirectory.  In that
subdirectory will live a bunch of rpm files.  Change to that directory
and (as root!) do the following:

  rpm -Uvh *.rpm

This will take a while to finish.  There will also be a directory called
"desktop-integration".  That contains all your icon/menu stuff for the
new OO.o version that you're installing.  Change to that directory and
do this:

  rpm -Uvh openoffice.org-redhat-menus-<WhateverVersionIsThere>.rpm

Have everybody log out and log back in, and you should be in business.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!