[K12OSN] ltsp 6 and kde kiosktool

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Oct 3 21:59:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 23:06 +0200, Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
> i don't think that you are using it correctly.
>
> i never had to do all this extra scripting as you did to make it work.
>
> we just use kde on the user's desktop. every computer is auto logged
> in
> with different user name pc1..pc50. i've set a group [students] to
> include all
> those users. inside kiosktool i assign a profile to students. that's
> it.
> when ever i logged into a user's Desktop i get the profile already
> assign to it.
>
> all those extra scripting you did seams to work on the local apps
> of the terminal, if you have any. as far as i can tell.
>
> hope, this helps and that i understood you correctly ;-)
>
> On 10/1/07, Craig White < craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:
>         Trying to lock down some settings for users with the kiosktool
>         from kde.
>
>         For those who are unfamiliar with kiosktool, it adds paths to
>         the
>         hierarchy for kde settings.
>
>         It doesn't work out of the box on ltsp-6 I am trying to get it
>         to work.
>
>         I created a symbolic link from ltsp's /etc/kde-profile
>         directory to the
>         terminal distribution etc directory...
>
>         ln -s /etc/kde-profile /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc
>         ln -s /etc/kde-profile /opt/ltsp/i386/etc
>
>         then I added the following to /etc/profile.d/kde.sh
>
>         [ -z "$KDEDIRS" ] &&
>         KDEDIRS="/etc/kde-profile/default:/etc/kde-profile"
>         export KDEDIRS
>
>         I can see that the KDEDIRS variable is captured by a new login
>         and that
>         the user is affected but it still doesn't work.
>
>         Any suggestions?
----
well, 'users' are all from LDAP and their $HOME directories are loaded
via NFS but I do have the 'default' profile set to include the
'dom_users' group and so far, it still isn't working.

# cat /etc/kde-user-profile
[General]
groups=dom_users

[Groups]
dom_users=default

# cat /etc/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals
--- much snipped ---
[KDE Control Module Restrictions]
kde-screensaver.desktop=true

# cat /etc/kde-profile/default/share/config/kdesktoprc
[ScreenSaver]
ActionBottomLeft=0
ActionBottomRight=1
ActionTopLeft=0
ActionTopRight=0
Enabled[$i]=true
Lock[$i]=true
LockGrace[$i]=60000
Priority=19
Saver=KBlankscreen.desktop
Timeout[$i]=300

Where the settings have [$i] set are immutable and user cannot change.

This setup works on individually installed workstations (Fedora 6/7) but
not on LTSP-6   ;-(

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>