[K12OSN] autologin with GDM on K12LTSP5-EL

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 24 13:06:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 08:11 -0500, Peter Scheie wrote:
> I'm setting up autologin on a K12LTSP5-EL (CentOS 5) system.  While it
> works for those client machines that I designate for autologin, it's
> causing problems with those that should not autologin.  On a client that
> should autologin, the GDM greeter shows a message that says "Login auto1
> will login in X seconds", and X counts down to zero and it logs in.  But
> on a non-autologin client, there should be no message at all; it should
> just sit there waiting for a user to login.  Instead, I'm seeing "Login
> will login in X seconds"; note the blank ID.  So, while the autologin
> script is not returning a login ID for autologin for that client, just
> as it should, GDM is still trying to make that client do autologin,
> rather than interpreting the null value that the /usr/bin/autologin|
> setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf returns to mean "don't do autologin".
>
> I've compared the /etc/gdm/custom.conf and /usr/bin/autologin with that
> of a K12LTSP6 system where autologin is working correctly, and they're
> identical, which suggests that GDM is once again broken with respect to
> autologin.  K12LTSP 6/Fedora 6 uses gdm 2.16.5 whereas
> K12LTSP5-EL/CentOS 5 uses gdm 2.16.0.  Is anyone else who is running
> autologin on 5-EL seeing this behavior?

I don't have autologin enabled on my 5-EL setup. But I expect that since
5-EL uses the same gdm as K12LTSP5 did originally, the same fix should
be applied - upgrade the busted gdm to a newer version. The src.rpm from
K12LTSP6 _should_ be a drop in replacement after compiling it with
rpmbuild --rebuild gdm-2.616.5.src.rpm and then an rpm -Uvh <path to new
rpm>