[K12OSN] smbldap - changing passwords

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sun Oct 7 15:22:03 UTC 2007

I ran the smbldap-installer scripts on a Debian Etch machine as a test.  Everything seems to have worked fine.  My question is, what is the proper method to change passwords (as a non-privileged user).

'smbpasswd' seems to work.  Is this what I'm supposed to use?  What about a linux-only user who is not assigned any samba credentials?

'passwd' gives me this error after allowing me to enter my new password twice:
LDAP password information update failed: Unknown error

'ldappasswd' gives me this error immediately:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute (16)

'/usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd' lets me enter my new password twice, then gives me these two errors:
failed to modify entry: Insufficient access at /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd line 227, <STDIN> line 3.
Unable to change password: Insufficient access at /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd line 261, <STDIN> line 3.

Also, I don't have any Windows clients to test...  Does changing passwords through the Windows password utility work?

Thanks

-Rob