[K12OSN] Authenticating Edubuntu 7.04 LTSP Clients from SMBLDAP Server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Oct 10 19:32:03 UTC 2007

> Thanks, Jim.  I have followed your directions and discovered the issue
> was a bit of pebcak and a bit of conflicting documentation.  Sorry for
> the duplicate post, some mx changes today are delaying receipt of my
> mail.  I am tracking this via the web archives, so it is not an accident
> that this is appearing as a new thread.
>
> With the clients booting, we are facing gconf issues.  For a few years
> our K12LTSP box was authenticating off of the smbldap box in question.
> Having moved to Edubuntu for the LTSP component, the users are now
> trying to load desktop settings specific to Fedora and not Edubuntu.
> They are getting desktop wallpaper and the floppy icon, but nothing else.
>
> I see you have a script to synchronize users from the LTSP box to a LDAP
> server.  Is there something similar that we need to do, erase, or change
> permissions for?  We now seem to need to sync our LDAP users to the LTSP
> box?
>
> I have tried moving gconf and .gconfd in hopes that they would be
> recreated, but tailing syslog revealed that both had to be present.
>
> Needing help but having fun

When I set ours up this summer I deleted all .files out of user directories in /home to
avoid this problem.  I also had a fresh ldap server and used webmin to run the import,
so webmin was set to pull from /etc/skel on the LTSP server when creating new accounts.
 I also had old stuff in /home from a K12LTSP6 server so I wanted to be sure to avoid
conflicts.  My setup seemed to create needed .files and everything worked out fine.  I
wasn't worried about saving personalized settings and just wanted to be sure
"everything" worked with the new system so I dumped everything.  Maybe not removing all
.files is where your problem lies?

I am not sure what you mean by a script to sync LDAP to LTSP.  Maybe you mean the
pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ line in common-session?:

sudo vim common-session
		Add:
			session required        pam_unix.so
			session required        pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
			session optional        pam_ldap.so
			session optional        pam_foreground.so

This is the part that tells LDAP to create a /home directory if one doesn't exist and to
copy the contents from /etc/skel there (I think :-).  I wasn't able to get things
working without this.

Jim