[K12OSN] Thumb drives and dell servers

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:43:58 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 15:48, Ernie Hudson wrote:
> I am having a major issue with thumb drives not being recognized on the
> client. Everything I plug into the server or an optiplex gx280 is mounted,
> but on the client this is not the case. I have an old lexar thumb drive
> that will mount on a client but not anything newer. I also see this error
> on boot,  usb 1-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71, there is an
> ata2 error as well. Is this a known issue with Dell? I have installed
> edubuntu, both versions, and everything just worked. Should I be looking
> for an AMD based server? We are planning to put a thin client solution in
> our computer intech labs and I would really appreciate any help.

I ran into something similar and it turned out to be that the terminal
hardware only supported USB v1.1 and the USB v2.0 driver was interfering with
identifying the flash drives. So, I eliminated loading the USB v2.0 driver in
the LTSP kernel. Most USB v2.0 devices are backward compatible, so it has
worked fine on both old and new flash drives now. The file altered were:

/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sysinit:

	< for MODULE in ehci-hcd uhci-hcd ohci-hcd; do
	---
	> for MODULE in ohci-hcd uhci-hcd ; do

and /opt/ltsp/i385/rc.usb:

	< for module in usb-uhci usb-ohci ehci-hcd uhci-hcd ohci-hcd
	---
	> for module in usb-ohci usb-uhci ohci-hcd uhci-hcd

You might try the same (make backups of the originals, of course).

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |