[K12OSN] smbldap - adding ldap users to local groups

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sun Oct 21 00:26:15 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:46:42PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 06:32 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> > On 21/10/2007, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 19:55 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > > It looks like you need to add users FROM the LDAP space TO the local
> > > fuse group.
> > >
> > > I think that creating an LDAP group called fusers and adding LDAP
> > > accounts to this group is step one. Then add the LDAP group fusers to be
> > > a member of the local machine fuse group.
> >
> > Step one is straightforward.
> > How do you do step two?
>
> From a console on the server as root:
>
> vigr (this is a vi-based group file editor - it locks the file to
> prevent other writes)
>
> now append fusers to the fuse group entry. If it is after another entry
> for the fuse group, use a comma between the entries.
>
> You will not need to edit the gshadow file.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me, though.  Is there something I need to do to "initialize" the group membership?  I logged out/in, then tried rebooting.  Still no good.

Is there anything special I need to do in the creation of the ldap group?  I used smbldap-groupadd -a ldapgroupname.

The group memberships seem to be correct (I used the cdrom group as a test):

$ getent group | grep cdrom
cdrom:x:24:mythtv,ldapcdrom
ldapcdrom:*:10005:rob

But I can't access anything with cdrom group privileges.  I even created a text
file owned by root.cdrom with 770 permissions, and I can't read it.

Let me know if you've got any ideas.

-Rob