[K12OSN] Archiving Email

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 23 18:25:00 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Shawn Powers <spowers at inlandlakes.org> wrote:
> If you are archiving every incoming and outgoing email in your
> network, how are you doing it?  We've had too many instances that have
> required searching, and my current email backup scheme doesn't really
> lend itself to forensics.

This has come up in the context of my work. We're evaluating some
possiblilites right now. One that occurred to me was to BCC everything
to a Zimbra box, since that appears to index mail using Lucene. It has a
command-line client to query the index:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=CLI_zmmboxsearch_%28Cross_mailbox_search%29

I have no clue how well that scales.

There seem to be a plethora of commercial options, with Sarbanes-Oxley
being the driver as near as I can tell.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services