[K12OSN] dansguardian filter

Kari Matthews karisue at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:09:53 UTC 2007

I have a new principal who is, for lack of a more descriptive word,
paranoid.   After last week's video.google.com scare last week, he had me
switch our filter to whitelist only.  So I have a little list of websites
that are allowed; all else is blocked.

The teachers and students are not happy.  This is a K-8 school, and the
5th-8th graders feel they are being punished.  I tend to agree.  And when
research paper time comes (October), what will happen then?

I promised to look into how other schools handle filtering.  I am scared of
filtering by keyword -- what if I don't think of all of them?  Are available
prepared lists thorough and reliable?

I have two needs:

1.  I need to be able to report how other schools use Dansguardian or
similar filtering tools.
2.  I need to educate the principal on this topic.  Can you think of any
info I can throw his way to persuade him to let up the screws a little bit?

Thanks for helping,
Kari