[K12OSN] dhcp on port 1067 windows clients sees this port

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Mon Sep 17 16:57:19 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I updated one of our K12LTSp servers to v.5.0 at one of our remote
building s here at school. I have always set this server up to broadcast
dhcp on port 1067.Everything is working fine,,,Thank God, ,,,,but,,,, for
some reason on this version some of the Winders clients/workstations, are
"seeing" dhcp running on port 1067. On the server when I do a
 nmap -sU localhost
 i am seeing dhcp actually running on port 1067. as it should be and
nothing running on port 67. It seems the only winders machines that are "
seeing" port 1067 are two particular brands of PC's.' Internet
Initiative"/ TigerDirect brand PC's and "Dell SX280's".
I changed my /etc/init.d/dhcpd file line from;
daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd ${DHCPARGS} 2>/dev/
to:
daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd -p 1067 ${DHCPARGS} 2>/dev/
.. to start dhcp on port 1067
Are some of the newer nics possibly set to also look on port 1067?
A head scratcher for sure.
This is really not causing any probs,but I wonder why these machines are
now seeing port 1067? This machines were set into place new  this year
BTW.

Thanks,

Barry Cisna