Re: [K12OSN] Coordinating for NECC 2008

There isn't a live CD for demonstrating the booting of thin clients. There is, however, a live CD that contains/shows the applications that come with K12LTSP, which is probably more useful as a give-away at a conference anyway. The CD is an Edubuntu disk that I doctored so that it looks like K12LTSP 6, which I then handout to teachers so they can explore K12LTSP at their convenience. The irony is that the true brilliance of LTSP--that old machines can be given new life as snappy thin clients--isn't what most people care about.

The live CD, aka "K12LTSP's Greatest Hits", is available at ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/live-cd-demo

Peter

Vern Ceder wrote:
I personally like the idea of some kind of installfest, being a LUG member.

Probably in that environment the emphasis might be better put on liveCD's and demos of what you can do with the software - I can't imagine many being willing to "risk" the computer they were traveling with by doing an actual install... (but I would be pleased if I were wrong about that ;-) )

Cheers,
Vern

Hoover Chan wrote:
I hope you all are surviving the start of school year crunch. I'm
just barely starting to resurface.

That being said, I noticed that the NECC abstract deadline is coming
up faster than expected. I was wondering what all is being planned
for NECC 2008 as far as Open Source activities.

Given the kinds of questions that frequently come up, I was wondering
whether it might be useful to have an "Install Fest" where we can
demonstrate what it would take to do a basic installation and
deployment. Maybe something where we encourage people to bring their
own computers or laptops where appropriate distro CD's are available
at the session to install?

Anyway, just brainstorming some ideas for the conference.

Thanks. Hope to see you all there.