[K12OSN] Cable net connection problem

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Thu Apr 3 15:46:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Barry Cisna wrote:
> > Hello List,
> >
> > Done a fresh install of K12LTSP/FC6 for an individual for home use for
> > their kids to use. They have cable internet for the first time. I was
> > there when the tech came and done the hookup at their house. I bought them
> > a brand new Motorola 5120 cable modem. Never could get their fresh FC6
> > server to do internet,although the ip numbers/dns numbers look correct. I
> > can plug an xp laptop into the same new cable modem and internet comes up
> > fine. I DID disable the linux iptables for testing BTW.
> > I can not ping anything by even IP address? Also strange thing,i never see
> > the "activity" light flicker on the cable modem when plugged into the
> > K12LTSP server?I talked to the tech at the head office and " we do not
> > support Linux":( I never checked to see if this cable co is setup for
> > DOCSIS1.1 or DOCSIS2.0 ( which I haven't read a thing about). Of course I
> > have done a network restart several times,and simply no webpages ever
> > display. As said earlier on the Windows XP laptop it comes up via dhcp
> > very quickly.
> > I surely don't need to manually make some sort of connection such as ADSL
> > client or something?Has anyone ever run into  this scenario?
> > Sorry for the long post.
>
> I think cable companies can restrict the MAC addresses that will get a
> DHCP address though a cable modem so it the xp box was the first thing
> that came up it may be a long time before it will give an address to
> anything else.   The quick fix is to use a home NAT router behind the
> cable modem.  Most of them have an option where you can set the visible
> MAC address on the public side to the one the cablemodem already expects
>   - and you can use more than one computer behind it.
>
> Most cablemodems have a web service at 192.168.100.1 (and at least the
> surfboard models don't even care that you aren't on that subnet
> yourself), but I don't know if there is enough status info there to help.
>
> --
OK, two possible issues:
1. bad patch cable and/or bad nic. Try a crossover patch cable, try to
connect server to xp box, see if you get good connection when you set ip
onn both boxes.
2. restricted MAC - make sure you do "ipconfig /release" on the xp box.
turn off cable modem, wait 2 minutes.

If you still don't have a connection after the cables and nic tested
positive, turn off cable modem for the address lease duration + 2 minutes.

(Did you bring eth1 up?)

julius