Re: [K12OSN] OT: Forkbomb

Travis Smith wrote:
We were messing around with fork bombs in my computer security class night and found out that we could prevent run away processes in Linux with modifying the limits.conf file but didn't see any prevention techniques for Windows. Today I was looking the registry on a Windows box and seen a dword USERProcessHandleQuota. Would this be the registry setting to preventing say a user from running a fork bomb on a W2k3 terminal server and crippling it?

Sorry for a Microsoft question but I am not on any M$ listservs and I thought it was pretty interesting but scary at the same time(forkbombing).

Travis

The answer is, forget the registry settings on MS Windows and go for a real OS (GNU/Linux is an excellent choice).  If you really wanna play with MS Windows, then the Resource Kit traditionally has had info re: registry keys.

But seriously--when you have something like GNU/Linux, why the hell waste your time with MS Windows??

--TP
Do you GNU?