Re: [K12OSN] OT: Google Apps

David Hopkins wrote:
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Will Hatch <whatch anwsu org> wrote:

Since google docs is not encrypted, isn't if a violation of FERPA?  I'd like to use it, but our tech director tells me that it is not secure, and since student names/information could be part of the documents, that it can't be used.  I would like to hear Google's feelings on this, since they seem to be interested in education.

It is encrypted automatically for all users when the Google Apps
administrator ticks a box forcing SSL on:
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100181

--

A quick google leads to
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=60762

It is convenient, and useful but it is not what I would call secure
given the terms of service that google requires you to agree to.

Just my (uninformed) two cents.

Dave Hopkins

We have NDA's with every company with whom we "farm out" storage of any sensitive information, with severe financial penalties (as well as the usual legal ones) if the company doesn't honor it.  If Google won't give you an NDA like that, then yep, it's illegal (at least in Virginia) for sensitive info.

I'd say, don't risk it.

--TP