Re: [K12OSN] Mass remote login to computer lab systems

David Hopkins wrote:
2008/2/2 "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com>:

 Here's another:  I know a high school kid whose English teacher was getting
all upset and bent out of shape because "THE COMPUTER'S NOT WORKING!"  She
was all set to take this up the chain of command.  Well, without saying a
word, this kid walked up to the computer, pressed the button marked "POWER",
and the computer magically started working.  Did she thank him?  Nope.  On
the contrary, she gave him what he described to me as a most baleful, nearly
hateful, look.  Right then, he lost all respect for her, and I don't blame
him.

Doesn't have to be a teacher.

That's quite true.

A guy I used to work with insisted on
setting up a new system. After a couple of hours, he started ranting
about how it was broken, DOA. So, he logged a support call (and we
carry 4 hour on-site for all systems). The tech drives up from the
support office (hour drive), walks over to the system, looks behind
it, plugs in the keyboard, logs in and leaves.  System fixed.  The guy
that logged the call was not happy about being 'shown up' and always
insisted that the keyboard must have been defective.

Dave Hopkins
What our two examples indicate is an ego problem, specifically the end-user's ego problem.  This is particularly compounded when those end users are accustomed to flaunting their "advanced degrees" all around trying to show us how smart they're supposed to be.

What I haven't yet figured out yet is how to get such people to be willing to learn the tool, like kids do.  This is one of our biggest roadblocks to furthering K12LTSP and Free Software in general.  Ideas, anyone?

--TP