[K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

jones yeates jones_yeates at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:04:09 UTC 2008

I have a SmartBoard in my classroom.  I'm glad to hear that I can now use it with Linux.  Currently its broken, so I can't but I did find it very useful when I taught lessons in Windows.  However students at the back of the room had problems seeing the board.  Now that I use fl_teachertool that's no longer a problem and I try to use Linux as much as possible because of fl_teachertool (along with many other reasons).> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:51:52 -0600> From: pwelte at nashville-k12.org> To: k12osn at redhat.com> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!> > If the SmartBoard is simply being used as the display surface for a > projector, then I agree with your comments. However, the Smartboard > provides soooo much more. There is an unlimited number of ways to use a > SmartBoard to foster a sense of enthusiasm and engagement that does not > normally occur. The Smarttech website has an entire area devoted to > creating lesson plans and projects.> > When used properly, especially at the grade school level, a SmartBoard > system provides a huge level of engagement with a small amount of > order/distraction. A group of students gathered around a SmartBoard and > actively identifying the subject matter by pointing to and touching the > board has increased participation and excitement with the subject > material. When used properly, these devices foster at least the same > amount of active participation as a thin client and they don't require > as much support or space.> > > > James P. Kinney III wrote:> > I have yet to see anything done with a smartboard benefiting the> > educational process that can't be done more broadly and actively with> > Linux thin clients and a collaborative workspace like fl_teachertool.> >> >> > The money spent on a smartboard buys an activity for a single person at> > a time while the others sit passively. This is the same failure mode> > that was in place with filmstrips, movies and EDU TV. The technology is> > changing but the practice is nearly identical. The streaming video junk> > from UnitedStreaming is just filmstrips done on a more expensive player> > (that school can't keep due to licensing <gag!>). > >> > For the same cost of a single smartboard, multiple Linux thin clients> > can be installed in the classroom. Imagine the learning that can happen> > when students can actively participate in doing things instead of being> > a passive observer.> > > > _______________________________________________> K12OSN mailing list> K12OSN at redhat.com> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/k12osn> For more info see <http://www.k12os.org>