[K12OSN] teaching kids sys admin with VM's

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Jan 18 23:17:42 UTC 2008

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 2:24 PM, Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net> wrote:
>
>> What's VMware's remote console, and what do you use it for?  Maybe I could tell you if VirtualBox has something similar.
>
> I haven't used it myself yet but from what people are explaining it's
> a client software which would be run on the ltsp server by students to
> connect to their VM's on the VM server and see/control the boot
> process. So basically connect to your VM remotely. At least this is my
> understanding.

It can run on the console of the host machine if you want, or it can run
remotely.  It is also cross-platform, so from a windows box you can run
the console of a guest on a linux server or vice-versa.  Personally I
prefer to connect directly to the guest with any of the remote access
methods you'd use on a physical box after the install is complete,
though.  Ssh, remote X, NX, remote desktop, etc. are nicer once you can
use them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com