Re: [K12OSN] 4GB memory limit?

Quite a few of us out here are using the EL releases.  Right now, I'm typing this using K12LTSP 4.2EL, and just last week, I did my yum update, which pulled down all the new CentOS 4.6 updates.  If this is a new deployment, you would do very well to go with the 5.0EL release.

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Michael Blinn wrote:
The RAM issue is a limitation of physical address space in 32-bit systems. You have two options to get around it: Run 64-bit kernel (if processor supports it) or run the bigmem kernel, which implements PAE (Physical address extensions). There is a performance hit associated with using PAE, however I'm not sure of the specifics. I shouldn't expect it to be really noticeable unless you're on a loaded server. You may want to pass a mem=4GB kernel boot options and see if that makes a difference. - Perhaps PAE (bigmem) is slowing you down a lot?

And yes, I would suggest using CentOS as FC6 is already EOL.

Cheers,
 Michael

Shawn Powers wrote:
I remember having to use a bigmem kernel a while back to get support for my 6GB of RAM in my 32 bit xeon server, but for some reason I though K12LTSP 6.0 had support for it with the SMP kernel.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

That said, I installed K12LTSP v6 over Christmas break (updating from my FC1 version, whatever it was), and today has been a nightmare!  Everything is so darn slow...  I'm using xfce, without the session manager (it caused crashes), but everything about the systems are slow.  (I installed 2 servers, identical hardware, and firefox is being very stubborn)

I'm considering installing 5.0.0EL, especially since FC6 is about to die... or maybe it's already EOL, I'm not sure.

Pay no attention to the man lamenting in the latter half of that email, but I'm curious about the bigmem issue -- anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Shawn