Re: [K12OSN] Motherboard Manufacturer Recommendations?

Whatever you get, be sure it's a Socket AM2+, not just AM2.  AM2+ will support the new tri- and quad-core Phenoms.  Yes, I know AMD says they're supported on Socket AM2, too, but it requires an updated BIOS.  A recent Tom's Hardware article showed that mobo makers don't really want to do that (only ASUS worked).  So start with AM2+ from the get-go, and you should be fine.

My experience with Tyan is likewise stellar, and I'd recommend one of their mobos any day.  That's where Penguin Computing sources their mobos, and for a reason.

My demo LTSP server runs a dual-Athlon Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466).  Still rockin'.  During the Socket 7 days, their S1590S Trinity motherboard (with AMD K6-2) was my mobo of choice, and they've never broken on me.

I've also had good luck with MSI's dual Athlon boards, so I'd imagine their newer AMD64 boards are also good.

--TP
Do you GNU?

R. Scott Belford wrote:
Essential dittos to James.  My "Monorail" Tyan based PII from 1999 is still a great firewall.  I have built all boxes with Tyan mobo's and AMD cpus, until recently.  I like Supermicro, alot, and they provide great hardware.  Just did a dual quad core 16gb ram box with SuperMicro. (it uses only 400w)  For fun boxes, as James said, Abit and Asus rock.  Some people give props to Gigabyte, too, but I have no experience with them.

--scott