Re: [K12OSN] New Server Capacity Thoughts.

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:36:27PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Double the RAM. Flash does NOT thread or share a library. Each flash
> applet on a page opens a full instance of flash. Yuck!
>
> If possible, put a second drive as a mirror in each server (and use
> noatime in the /etc/fstab!). This will have a dramatic impact on
> application performance.

I've been doing this, but I've also been wondering if there are any reasons not to do it.  I've read the kernel mailing list thread about it, and there are mentions of "a handful of applications" that don't behave properly with noatime specified.  Do you know anything about that?

>Be sure to NOT have /tmp in the mirror (it can
> be a raid0 striped array).

Could you explain why not to mirror /tmp?  I'm interested.  And while I'm asking, what are your opinions on mirroring swap?

-Rob