[K12OSN] Anyone done an upgrade rather than a wipe recently?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 18 00:25:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 09:24 -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Well, it's the end of our school year here and I've been driving 120
> thin clients using 3 servers that range from K12LTSP Fedora 4,  5 and
> 6 (or 3,4,5..) based versions.  One of each!  All have worked
> PERFECTLY since each install years ago-  thanks to everyone here and
> Eric!
>
> I have had my student Computer Club running the K12LTSP 5 Centos and
> my home system as well since last fall without any issues and think
> that I may as well bite the bullet and get the 3 main installs done
> now...
>
> I have a choice of reformatting and wiping everything or doing an
> upgrade knowing that tons of garbage will be left.   How much I don't
> know...?  An upgrade won't wipe my users and homes and this is big for
> me, too.
>
> What would you do?

Migrate homes and user authentication to a backup drive, verify with
rsync and wipe out the cruft and start fresh.

You will need to remove all the really old user preferences anyway so
pretty much most of the dot files go. BUT (!!!!!) be careful of mail
folders and ssh keys.

On the new install, put the user data on it's own partition so future
wipes will not affect the user data.

> --
> believed to be clean.
James P. Kinney III