[K12OSN] Fl_Teachertool Distribute File Problem

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:05:32 UTC 2008

2008/3/3 Nick Fenger <nick at trilliumcharterschool.org>:

> Hello K12OSNers,
>
> I am getting the following errors when using the Distribute Function in
> Teacher Tool (Fl_Teachertool version 0.41) on a K12LTSP 6.0 box w/ seperate
> PDC/LDAP box.
>
> cp: cannot stat `/home/oceans/test.txt': Permission denied
> cp: cannot stat `/home/alekst/test.txt': Permission denied
>
> I get the error when non-root users to run teachertool and when I am running
> it logged in under root. I'm not sure if this is important, but, the root on

fl_teachertool will not work properly for non root users. You have to
setup visudo for teachers as described here
http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/installationk12ltsp.html#sudo

Also if you run it as root make sure you become root like this
su -
not just
su

> the terminal server can only list the home directories but not access or
> change the files. We have a separate PDC/LDAP server where the home
> directories are kept. I am not entirely sure why I cannot read/write student
> directories under root, this happened when I had the LDAP server rebuilt
> last year (it used to work).

Are you talking about specifically with fl_teachertool or in general?
I don't have LDAP experience maybe someone else can help here.

> I am thinking that I need to somehow give users in the Teacher's Group
> access to the directories of the students (or at least a directory on their
> desktop)? Is this something I need to configure on the LDAP server (like
> permissions or group membership) - OR - Do I need to configure every user to
> accept the files (is there a script that does this?)

Are you wanting teachers to access student homes so they can mark
stuff? If that's the case, I would recommend handin folders where
students (others) only have write and execute permission with the
sticky bit set but the teacher has full access.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated, i've got everything else in the tool
> working (even did the recomple of vncreflector.) - I LOVE this program, it
> has changed the way I teach!

Glad to hear it. I enjoy using it too.

--
Robert Arkiletian