[K12OSN] Virtualized Windows on K12LTSP

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sat May 24 23:00:39 UTC 2008

Conrad Lawes wrote:

> All the VMMs  you mentioned are capable of running Windows XP.
> You can't go wrong with  vmware, though. Its well proven and well
> supported.  Virtualbox is also a suitable solution though  host
> network  bridging requires a little bit of elbow grease.  QEMU,
> IMHO, is still a work in progress.   Not sure how well Xen supports
> Windows but I've read that it works.

VMware Server worked well when I tested it in the past, but Xen is
open source and doesn't need any work when a new kernel is released
AFAIK, because the Xen packages are updated along with it. I think I
remember VMware needs to build a kernel module against your current
kernel and even though that is not a horrible thing I'd like to keep
management overhead as low as possible. I think I'll go and see how
far I can get using virt-manager (http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/).

Nils Breunese.