[K12OSN] smbldap adjusting permissions from Windows

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Tue Nov 11 14:28:32 UTC 2008

Actually, the share I'm having trouble with is not [homes], although
that may give me the same problem -- I didn't check.  I'm concerned
about a shared-access share as follows:

[freeforall]
   comment = storage for everyone
   path = /mnt/freeforall
   writable = yes

/mnt/freeforall has 777 permissions.  Everyone can write to that share
via samba, but through Windows, a user cannot change permissions on his
files/directories that he creates in that share.  He can change the
permissions through Linux, though.

-Rob

Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Rob,
>
> I'm not sure this would do any good for what you are describing, but
> what about putting an 'umask =755' in the /home portion share, of your
> smb.conf file. Then  'service smbd restart'.  I guess I've never tried
> changing permissions on any files dumped onto our /home folder on the
> Samba file server,via winders? It always "just works",,:).Maybe you are
> going over the top on geekiness...:-) I'll give it a try tomorrow  and
> let you know what we have for smb.conf settings and the like.
>
> Take Care,
> Barry Cisna

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.