[K12OSN] You can't have LTSP and network too

M Rathburn stretchem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 01:20:37 UTC 2008

> On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:59 PM, M Rathburn wrote:
>
> > After F9 install with reboot, eth0 got DHCP address 192.168.1.117,
> > eth1 is statically set to 192.168.1.25.  NetworkManager is
> on, but the
> > eth1 network interface was inactive. Networking was only working
> > through eth0.  Had to do 'chkconfig network on' to get the
> two network
> > interfaces to activate on startup.  Rebooted.  Networking
> is working
> > fine for both interfaces.
> >>

> What you describe above makes me think that eth0 might
> actually facing the outside of your network and eth1 is
> facing your clients.
> FC 9 might detect your NICs in a different order than RHEL/CENTOS.
> The other thing to check, did you restart the computer or the
> NetworkManger service too? The other thing you may have to do
> first, especially on a stock install of FC 9, is to do all
> the updates first.

Yes, this was exactly the problem.  Installs of K12Linux CentOS5 configured
the two interfaces differently from what the installs of F9 did.  ie:
CentOS5 said eth0 was network card #1, while F9 said eth0 was network card
#2.

A little gotcha if you're not paying attention.

Thanks Almquist!

-Mike Rathburn
 Children First Florida