Re: [K12OSN] Dual NIC and DHCP

You don't want to do that. Having two DHCP servers on the same network will cause all kinds of problems. With that said, if you have vlans in the switch, you could segregate the thin clients onto the same vlan as the LTSP server, but you need to be able to turn off the switch's DHCP server on those same ports. The clients are dumb, they'll have no way to know which DHCP server is answering their request for an address, which is why you shouldn't run two DHCP servers on the same network. In the LTSP servers dhcpd.conf (k12ltsp-dhcpd.conf, I think), you can tell the DHCP server to give out addresses only to specific MAC addresses. If you can do the same in your switch, you could arrange it so that only the LTSP gives addresses to the clients. But that all sounds like an awful lot of work; I think it would be much simpler to just use two switches, one for just the clients and the other for connecting the server to the rest of the network.

Peter

MW Rathburn wrote:
I've installed K12LTSP (CentOS5) for evaluation.  Server has dual NIC's.
eth0 has the default 192.168.0.254 scheme.  eth1 is static 192.168.1.25.

I have both NIC's going into the same switch/router/firewall, which gives
out it's own DHCP in the 192.168.1.x scheme.  My questions are:

When I plug in a PXE capable thin client appliance, will it know to get it's
information from the 192.168.0.x DHCP server or the 192.168.1.x DHCP server
(the switch/router/firewall)?  (yet to receive the appliance to test this)

Should I just use one of the NIC's and manually assign the appliance's IP
information from the router via DHCP Reserved IP, then update the dhcpd.conf
file, using the 192.168.1.x scheme?

Thanks.