Re: [K12OSN] SMBLDAP - Requiring and facilitating password

Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I think I'd be OK with just telling people they needed to do it. If someone cracks their account and messes around it'll be a learning experience for them.

I'm not clear on how ordinary users change their password in the SMBLDAP scheme though. Does "passwd" work? Is there a GUI? These people are on clients, not the server. And I want it to change the password in the LDAP database.

Thanks,

ck

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:53:14 -0500 From: Rob Owens <rob owens biochemfluidics com> Subject: Re: SMBLDAP - Requiring and facilitating password change at first logon To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com> Message-ID: <49255DBA 8040308 biochemfluidics com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" I don't know how to force that. But you could *tell* them to do it, and then run a script the next day that attempts to log in each student using the password that you assigned. If it's successful, it can then change/disable the password, or email you, or put their name on a list, or something. That way you'll know who didn't follow instructions. -Rob Carl Keil wrote: