[K12OSN] wifi wireless k12ltsp support status

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Oct 3 11:55:56 UTC 2008

So far, it's not possible to PXE boot using any wireless NIC. So that
shoots that down . Wireless can work if you have a client with a boot
kernel embedded on a flash drive or similar with the drivers installed
for the wireless NIC.

But then running X sessions over a wireless connection will be
problematic as each client uses 7Mbps MINIMUM. An 802.11g system that
provides 54Mbps will only support 5 clients using basic desktop and NO
multimedia. It's just too slow.

This won't change any time soon. However, for the "gotta be mobile"
enthusiasts, an option to look into is a tiny X environment on a mobile
device and freenx on the server. That will reduce the X bandwidth hog to
a trickle and support bi-directional sound as well. Will it work
streaming media and flash heavy sites all over a wireless network? I
haven't done the engineering on that to say if it's
possible/feasible/nuts.

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 06:31 -0500, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Just wanted to find out the concensus on people's opinons of wifi -
> wireless in regards to k12ltsp. I've googled but have not found anyone
> actually using even a " homebrew" setup wifi on the clients ,pointing to
> the k12ltsp server as the dhcp disher outer:) We would really like to
> start migrating to doing wireless on the clients at school and start
> ditching some of the wiring clutter. Am I missing something in assuming
> that there is no "add this and that packages" to end up with a working
> wifi setup into the k12ltsp tree? As cheap as AP's are nowadays this seems
> the way to be going down the road?I'm thinking if a person was to put even
> as little as two AP's plugged into any existing "wall switch" either in
> the ceiling or in a classroom should suffice.
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Barry Cisna

James P. Kinney III