[K12OSN] wifi wireless k12ltsp support status

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Oct 3 11:57:45 UTC 2008

Barry Cisna wrote:

> Just wanted to find out the concensus on people's opinons of wifi -
> wireless in regards to k12ltsp. I've googled but have not found anyone
> actually using even a " homebrew" setup wifi on the
> clients ,pointing to
> the k12ltsp server as the dhcp disher outer:) We would really like to
> start migrating to doing wireless on the clients at school and start
> ditching some of the wiring clutter. Am I missing something in
> assuming
> that there is no "add this and that packages" to end up with a working
> wifi setup into the k12ltsp tree? As cheap as AP's are nowadays this
> seems
> the way to be going down the road?I'm thinking if a person was to
> put even
> as little as two AP's plugged into any existing "wall switch" either
> in
> the ceiling or in a classroom should suffice.
> Anyone?

I believe there was a thread on doing wireless clients a while ago.
Conclusion: forget it, because access points function as hubs (not
switches) and the bandwidth needed for LTSP is going to kill your
wireless network. LTSP doesn't need a lot of processing power on the
clients (hence the 'thin'), but it does need quite a bit of bandwidth
(hence the gigabit interfaces on the server). I guess only fat clients
is feasible over wireless. But I haven't done any testing myself, so
YMMV.

Nils Breunese.