Re: [K12OSN] wifi wireless k12ltsp support status

Barry Cisna wrote:

Just wanted to find out the concensus on people's opinons of wifi -
wireless in regards to k12ltsp. I've googled but have not found anyone
actually using even a " homebrew" setup wifi on the clients ,pointing to
the k12ltsp server as the dhcp disher outer:) We would really like to
start migrating to doing wireless on the clients at school and start
ditching some of the wiring clutter. Am I missing something in assuming
that there is no "add this and that packages" to end up with a working
wifi setup into the k12ltsp tree? As cheap as AP's are nowadays this seems the way to be going down the road?I'm thinking if a person was to put even as little as two AP's plugged into any existing "wall switch" either in
the ceiling or in a classroom should suffice.
Anyone?

I believe there was a thread on doing wireless clients a while ago. Conclusion: forget it, because access points function as hubs (not switches) and the bandwidth needed for LTSP is going to kill your wireless network. LTSP doesn't need a lot of processing power on the clients (hence the 'thin'), but it does need quite a bit of bandwidth (hence the gigabit interfaces on the server). I guess only fat clients is feasible over wireless. But I haven't done any testing myself, so YMMV.

Nils Breunese.