Re: [K12OSN] FTP install steps?

Joseph Bishay wrote:
Hello everyone,

As was recommened by a couple of people on the mailing list, I'm
looking into upgrading my network to K12LTSP EL-5.  I would like to
pretend I'm cool and cutting-edge, as well as saving time and CDs, by
installing from the ftp site
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/5.0.0-EL-32bit/iso

I have downloaded and burned the first CD image successfully and I am
able to boot off it and start the installation process.  However, I
*always* fail at putting the ftp information in correctly and the
installation never works properly.  On top of that, the only way you
find out that the installation fails is not at the point at which you
enter the ftp site info, but later on in the install when the server
attempts to access the site.

If someone can please provide me with step-by-step instructions I
will, 1) sing their praises here and 2) update the wiki so as to
include that information so it's easily available for everyone else.

Looking forward to being cool,
Joseph

The way I do it is to download the DVD image and set up my own FTP server with its contents.  Actually, I find NFS somewhat easier.  Anyway, here's how.  There are three parties in this process.  They are the following:

A.)  the box you're using to download the CentOS 5 DVD image (probably your "daily driver" workstation--mine's a Kubuntu box),

B.)  the box that you're going to use as an "installation file server" when you do your installs (mine's a Slackware box, but this can also be the same as the box in A.), and

C.)  the box on which you're going to perform the actual FTP installation once all this is set up--that is, your K12LTSP 5EL server-to-be.

With the introductions out of the way, let's get to it.

1.)  Download the DVD ISO image.  It's nearly 4GB.

2.)  Mount that DVD ISO image as a so-called "loop" mount.  That's done as follows, using "/mnt/dvdiso" as my mount point.

       mount -t iso9660 -o loop NameOfDVDISOImage.iso /mnt/dvdiso

3.)  Find some box with enough space for the contents of the DVD and copy the entire contents of the DVD (everything under /mnt/dvdiso, in this example) to that box.  Any such box will do; I'm assuming here that it runs some GNU/Linux distro.  On my "installation file server", I use the directory /var/nfsshare, because I started out doing NFS installs originally.  You can use whatever dir. you want.  Ensure that permissions for this entire subdirectory tree are set to world-readable, for obvious reasons.  :-)  You do that like this.

        chmod -R 755 /var/nfsshare

4.)  Install vsftpd.  On RH/CentOS/Fedora, this is done by "yum install vsftpd".

5.)  On this "installation file server", set up your FTP daemon to point to that directory.  With vsftpd, the config file is /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf.  Ensure that anonymous access is turned on in that config file (it's well commented).  By default, it is turned on.

6.)  In /etc/passwd, change the home directory for user "ftp" to point to your CentOS installation directory.  In this example, that's /var/nfsshare.

7.)  /sbin/service vsftpd start

8.)  Time for a basic functionality test.  From another box, try FTP'ing into that "installation file server" and downloading any file.  That should work.

9.)  Now that you've made sure basic functionality works, here's what you do when you want to do an FTP install.  For "server name", put in the IP address of this "installation file server."  For your directory, just put in "/".  That oughta do it.

Since I regularly do CentOS installations at work, I have hugely benefited from setting up an installation file server.  NFS installs are equally easy, BTW.  All you have to do is install the NFS server and set up your /etc/exports file to look like this.

    # My /etc/exports file
    #
    /var/nfsshare   *(ro,async,all_squash)

Then, "/sbin/service nfs restart" for that new exports file to take effect.  And so, during your network installs, you'd use the same IP address, and the directory you'd put in would be "/var/nfsshare".

And thus shall coolness envelope you...for you will have become more 1337....

--TP
Do you GNU?