[K12OSN] still banging my head against Ubuntu 8 authenticating against LDAP

So,

When I run "ldapsearch 10.0.1.252 domain.com -x" on the LDAP server, I get a list of all the people in the LDAP database. When I run the same search from the client I get a message saying that it can't contact the LDAP server. I've dropped the firewall on the server and I can ping the server. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? How do you tell LDAP to listen to outside ports?

Thanks,

ck