[K12OSN] RAID Question

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 19:13:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a question about some trouble I'm having with a RAID controller
I'm setting up.  I'm creating a backup machine to backup the LTSP
server and I get my hands on an ATA IDE RAID Controller -
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/raid/ata_raid/AAR-1200A

I have installed the raid controller, put in 2X400 GB drives,
formatted, partitioned, and created ext3 filesystems, and configured
the RAID to run as RAID 1 and created the array.

Now 2 issues:

1) The RAID controller reports only 127 GB of space on each drive.
There is no bios update for the RAID controller
2) Booting into CentOS actually finds both drives independently, not
as a RAID -- one is /dev/hde and one is /dev/hdg -- both report
correctly 400 GB and both, when mounted can act independently of each
other.  Creating a file on one affects only that one drive, not the
other.

Typing lspci shows me:
02:0b.0 Mass storage controller: HighPoint Technologies, Inc.
HPT366/368/370/370A/372/372N (rev 03)

that is the chip on the RAID controller so the hardware is there and
seems to be working.

Am I missing a step to get the drives to act as a RAID? I thought
hardware raid was only suppose to report the unified array to the OS
so it wouldn't see two drives?

Thank you
Joseph