Re: [K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

>On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:
>> David Hopkins wrote:
>>
>>> Does tuxmath normally use that insane amount of bandwidth?  70Mb/sec is
>>> comparable to 320x240 30fps Youtube video.  Absolutely nothing other than
>>> video in my experience using anything near that amount of bandwidth.
>>>

>> In my experience, it has always been a huge bandwidth hog.
>>

> Yup, it does!  I've measured 73Mb/sec on my Cisco Catalyst switch with
> TuxType and similar numbers with TuxMath.  Got similar numbers from the
> ifconfig and a stopwatch.  That's why you need 100Mbps/FullDuplex on your
> clients, Gig-E on your server, and a clean, error-free network.

Which I have (or at least think that I have based on not finding
errors reported). It just seems that the system isn't using the Gig-E
properly for some reason. I'll run NetIO
(http://www.ars.de/ars/ars.nsf/docs/netio) tonight as well and push
some data around the network while I let iftop and ntop monitor the
NICs.  I know that NetIO reports 114MB/s transfer speeds (912Mbps)
sustained between the file servers and my LTSP servers. Since that is
through the same types of switches with the same NICs, it at least
gives me a baseline to see what iftop/ntop think is happening.  And,
this topic is drifting from the feedback on LTSP5, but I'd rather keep
the chain together since if there is a resolution, it would be nice to
have it all together.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins