[K12OSN] OT - webmail recommendations?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed Feb 4 16:09:52 UTC 2009

----- "Joseph Bishay" <joseph.bishay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> People-who's-opinion-I-value-far-more-than-random-Google-results,

Greetings!
>  <...details...>
>
> The webmail packages I have seen online are:
> 1) Squirrelmail (http://www.squirrelmail.org/)
> 2) Horde IMP (http://www.horde.org/imp/)
> 3) Roundcube (http://roundcube.net/)
> 4) Neomail (http://sourceforge.net/projects/neomail/)
> 5) Hastymail (http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/)
> 6) V-webmail (http://v-webmail.sourceforge.net/)

If you're looking for ease of use combined with the best feature set, I'd whole-heartedly recommend Horde. If you want super-duper shiny things, Roundcube is nice but still a little TOO beta for my tastes. Squirrelmail works but doesn't have the featureset Horde has.

As long as you're comfortable working with the backend daemons (qmail/postfix/dovecot/etc) then the above options are looking good for you. If you'd like something thats quite a bit easier to administer, I highly recommend Zimbra. It handles all of the backend setup/configuration and has the *BEST* user experience of any. You can of course choose to dive into the 'guts' of it but typically it isn't needed.

> Now it would be nice (but not remotely crucial) if the webmail
> program
> allowed access via a smartphone/PDA.  I suppose I could just do it
> via
> the smartphone's IMAP...

IMAP would work. Zimbra has some sort of smartphone connectivity option I believe.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105