Re: [K12OSN] OT: any OpenOffice vs. MS Office studies/cases out there?

j.w. thomas wrote:
Ryan Collins wrote:
 > I have found that the acceptance rate goes up when you tell them it's
the upgrade to Windows/MS Office. Rename the menu items to Microsoft Word/Excel, etc, use IceWM and use the XP Silver theme.

I did the same with Firefox when I started to phase it in, I changed the icon to the IE e and the name to Internet Explorer.

Once they start using it, then you can slowly work with them to understand Open Source.

I would urge caution when it comes to knowingly making false claims. OOo is NOT Office, and if you say that it is and the truth eventually comes out, you have just thrown away your credibility.

It may seem expedient, but sometimes expediency comes at a cost.

As much as I like OOo, and want to see it adopted as widely as possible, bending the truth is not the way to go.

Let's leave that to the vendors of proprietary software :)

Cheers,

Bill

--

Bill Fitzgerald