Re: [K12OSN] OT - Upgrading Server - Copying Config Files

Basically, yes, you can just copy over the config files.  Fedora 6 and RHEL/CentOS 5 are so similar that unless you look *very* carefully, you wouldn't know the difference.  Fedora 6 was basically Fedora 5 without all of Fedora 5's bugginess.  So yeah, it should go quite smoothly for your scenario.

Now, if you were going between types of distros, e. g. from Debian to CentOS, then a little more care would be needed, but sure, you could still do it.  You'd just have to know where each distro "style" puts the config files by default.  But I've done it on several occasions.  That's kinda the point of GNU/Linux--you are never locked into one distro type.

If something goes awry, /var/log/messages should steer you in the right direction.

As for the "Server Administrator's Oath," I don't know about anything in writing.  But all the "oath" I ever heard of, or had others "take", was the understanding that if you screw it up, you clean it up, and you do your damndest not to screw up...or you're fired.  That usually gets people's attention very nicely, and it has the merit of being the truth.

If you're concerned about the kid's "training", then have him read and learn Eric S. Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way."  I made that required reading for both of my troops before they got "enable" privileges on our Cisco routers.

--TP
Do you GNU?

Carl Keil wrote:
Hey Folks,

I'm upgrading (updating?) a Fedora 5 web server to Centos 5.   I'm doing a fresh install from CD's on a new box, but I basically have the Fedora 5 thing working just how I want it right now as far as configuration.  I'm upgrading because I want security updates, I would like to add some stuff that's not in the FC5 repos and I have a hard drive failing so now's the time to do it.

Anyway, I'm confused about the config files.  Can I just copy over the apache/mysql/iptables/samba/ssh files?  If there are new/different versions of these things on the new server won't that cause problems?  I'm thinking I need to just copy certain parts of each file.  Is that the way most folks do it?
Thanks,

ck

PS  I have a kid who helps me at the school I do volunteer IT support for.  I want to have him take the Server Administrator's Oath, but I can't find it anywhere.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about and know where to find it?