Re: [K12OSN] Re: OT - Upgrading Server - Copying Config Files

Man,

I wish I was as smart as the average Linux admin. That's a really elegant idea. Here I am scratching my head and worrying that I forgot something. I wish there was a way to do some sort of "cat=> " symlink. Where you could literally have a directory with only the changed bits.
ck

One thing I started doing was putting my changed config files in a
completely separate directory and symlinking to them. That way, when I
change a configuration from the default it's all in the same place. So
for instance when making changes to /etc/aliases I will copy
/etc/aliases to /usr/local/confs/etc/aliases.xpaf and then symlink it.
This way all of my changes are in /usr/local/confs/etc (there is also
/usr/local/confs/var for the files that are normally in /var) and I can
copy only the changes that I've made for backups.