[K12OSN] OT: ldap only checks first 8 characters of password

My openldap users only need to correctly enter the first 8 digits of their password in order to be authenticated.  My local users need to enter more than that (I didn't check for a limit, but it's more than 8).  Does anybody know how to change this behavior?

-Rob