Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP Chrooted Environment Misunderstanding

What Todd wrote is correct. In K12LTSP, access to the chroot environment on the client is via Ctrl-Alt-F1, but must first be enabled in the lst.conf file via the 'SCREEN02 = shell' parameter. In the lts.conf file there is a parameter listed for enabling support for local apps, but it doesn't really work. It was put there at the time more as a place holder for the future. The reason LTSP 4.2, on which K12LTSP was based, doesn't have a full chrooted environment is that the idea hadn't yet come to full fruition at the time. If you need local apps, use K12Linux/LTSP5.

Peter

Todd O'Bryan wrote:
The system in the chroot environment is very basic--it's just enough
stuff to get the terminal up and running. Once the terminal is running
a basic OS, it connects to the server and acts as a remote X session.
When you log in on the terminal, you're logging onto the server, not
the chroot environment that's running on the terminal. The idea is
that a terminal that can only run basic stuff gets the full power of a
much nicer server, because everything really runs on the server. The
terminal is just a way of viewing the server processes.

There is a way to get to the chroot environment that's running on the
terminal--if I remember correctly, Ctrl-Alt-F1 will display a console
that really is running on the terminal. But you'd only use that to
debug problems, not as a normal operating mode.

Todd