[K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Thu Jun 4 18:02:57 UTC 2009

TP, your post is dead on..

While up until last year it was feasible for us to go with Thin
Clients..we've worked with local hospitals' IT depts.(in the Portland,
OR area) to "donate" their old dell optiplex gx240-gx260's to our
school(s). Basically the IT coordinator gathers them all..images a batch
depending on the school(s) need and gets them delivered and setup.

So far over 350 machines have been "reused" rather than 'recycled'...
and any gx240 or gx260 is PLENTY of hardware for any elementary school
around...and still quite adequate for 99% of all small businesses.

I still like LTSP for central authentication and management
though...call me a knucklehead but I just don't like windows server
setups, and hardening.

--Huck