[K12OSN] K12LTSP Chrooted Environment Misunderstanding

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 14:42:13 UTC 2009

The system in the chroot environment is very basic--it's just enough
stuff to get the terminal up and running. Once the terminal is running
a basic OS, it connects to the server and acts as a remote X session.
When you log in on the terminal, you're logging onto the server, not
the chroot environment that's running on the terminal. The idea is
that a terminal that can only run basic stuff gets the full power of a
much nicer server, because everything really runs on the server. The
terminal is just a way of viewing the server processes.

There is a way to get to the chroot environment that's running on the
terminal--if I remember correctly, Ctrl-Alt-F1 will display a console
that really is running on the terminal. But you'd only use that to
debug problems, not as a normal operating mode.

Todd