Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins wrote:
Now, the teacher has already added that she'll want all the packages
on the thin clients on the Macs but ... she doesn't want OpenOffice
on the Macs because 'it doesn't work right'.  Instead she wants a
different package. And we need to order the Type-to-Learn package for
the Macs as well.  So, the 'usage creep' has already started and the
lab isn't even ordered. *SIGH ...

She needs to look at OOo 3.0.1, it works fine. If she wants something more "Maccy", look at NeoOffice.

Whoa, I thought this was a multimedia lab. What's Type-to-learn doing in there? Are you running this on the thin-clients?

(* I hate taking instructional time out for teaching typing. That's the biggest waste of resources. Get the students on the machine, they'll learn how to type. I've never had a typing class and can type 70wpm. *)

So far this has been done except that newer staff and adminstrative staff in particular coming in from the other schools aren't buying into thin clients quite as much. They acknowledge that the uptime statistics are phenomenal (less than 4 hours of downtime this year to this point and part of that was a power failure that took out the school) but then they say "We can do the same with Windows as well" which I'll admit can be done with a huge investment of resources.

For those naysayers, you really need to talk about the initial and ongoing costs.

The most resistance I've had is the English dept. at the HS. They're complaining about the lack of a grammar checker, and the Language Tools plugin for OOo doesn't cut it.

They also acknowledge the ease of use and ability to sit anywhere and
work is also fantastic.

Who runs a district where you can't do this?

Budget issues: There is tremendous resistance within parts of the DOE
 to going this route. Unfortunately for them, Delaware is looking at
a 20% reduction in the state budget next year across the board and
the new Governor is very open minded to new ideas and approaches.
This is the best chance I've seen in 8 years to really get some
attention. And the timing of the Mac lab couldn't be worse?  But,
everything works out in the end. I'm sure that will be the case here
as well.

I've been running thin-clients since the 02-03 school year, but it's only been in the past 1 or 2 years that the state of Ohio has finally decided that thin-clients might be a direction to go. Hopefully the NJ DOE will realize the savings in time and money.

Be vocal on the costs. 24 machines x $1,149 is $27,576. That's a lot of money. Also be aware that schools can still buy the 17" iMac for $899 ($21,576), so that might come up if the money isn't there for the 20" iMacs. You won't be able to use TCO figures, since Macs have such a low TCO. BTW, where was the $40K figure coming from?

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Collins
n:Collins;Ryan
email;internet:mr rcollins ryancollins org
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://ryancollins.org/wp/
version:2.1
end:vcard